Sunday, January 31, 2010

Survival Mode Parent

Some of you may have noticed I have a button on my sidebar for Survival Mode Parent. It's a relatively new organization that I learned about on Twitter. Basically it's main function is to put parents whose child is in NICU or PICU in contact with a volunteer who can help with basic things such as laundry and meals.

As former NICU mom times two, I know how crazy that time is. Even during the times when your baby is stable, you're on edge. You do only what you absolutely HAVE to do in real life, and the rest of the time you're at the hospital. When E was in NICU, laundry went undone, we ate soooo much fast food, we had a really hard time managing our pets.. it was a mess. It would have helped so much to have someone around who had been there before, knew what we might need and was available to help with those small things.

Because of that, I just signed up to be a volunteer. I have been wanting to for awhile but have been hesitant because of my current situation. However, now that I kind of have my life going again, it's time! I was able to indicate that I can't provide pet care (I live with my mom - she wouldn't be too happy) or child care (I have enough trouble looking after E, and besides, I would hate to have to screen for sickness, and with E being a former preemie I'm paranoid about that). I would however, love to take meals, do a couple loads of laundry, or run errands for a family that needs some help.

I'm so glad that I finally decided to sign up... you should too. Seriously. GO!

1 comment: