Monday, July 16, 2012

Simple Service Project - #Champions4Kids #SpinbrushCFK Follow Through!

Today we finished off our Champions for Kids Spinning into Action Spinbrush Simple Service Project by donating the Arm & Hammer Kids Spinbrushes we bought the other day to a local charity near and dear to my heart, Dixie Care and Share. We were able to donate one pink and one blue of the Spinbrushes seen here: 



I loved these because they could be personalized depending on the child who was able to benefit from them. When a family is in that kind of situation, I think it would help to have something that's really "theirs" - even if it is just a simple toothbrush. 

Dixie Care and Share St George UT

I chose this organization because it has been a staple in my community for... well, ever since I can remember. As a child we had food drives for Dixie Care and Share, and just last year local artists recorded a Christmas CD where all the profits went to this charity. I was shocked to find out that this was done because they were at risk of having to close their doors forever! 




When I visited to make my donation, I was surprised at how many services were offered. I knew a shelter existed (seen above), but I had no idea they had a pantry as well. There are bread, pastries, and fresh produce that are literally free - no intake process or screening is needed. Anyone in need can sign in and get food they need for their family.



There is also a small stockpile of trial sized hygiene products that are available with no intake process as well - these are perfect for someone who just needs to get by for a little bit. 


The more extensive pantry (below) requires an intake process, but I was amazed at the variety of nutritious food there was. Everything from cereal to salad dressing, if you need it they probably have it. Again, this is restricted to those who have gone through a screening process to show they really are in need - but what a blessing for those who truly do need some help! 


Talking to the employees and volunteers, they were all so nice, helpful, and non judgmental. I was able to learn that the majority of their donations are private donations - how cool is that?! There is a box outside for nonperishable goods: 


I went pretty early in the morning and it had already begun to be filled!! How amazing!!!! 

#Champions4Kids


I'm so glad that the Spinbrushes we were able to donate will be use. They use full sized hygiene products like that primarily in the shelters, from what I understand, and I'm sure they will go to good use. Luckily our state's Medicaid program has excellent dental care available for children who qualify; even so, that doesn't replace daily brushing!! 

Find out if you have an organization like this in your community - sometimes when we're lucky enough to have everything we need, we don't think to seek out places like this that do so much good and receive little recognition.

You can follow #SpinbrushCFK through the following social media venues: 

Spinbrush/Arm&Hammer: 


I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Champions for Kids #CBias #SocialFabric. All opinions are honest and my own, and we really had a fabulous time learning about the resources in our community and how to help.

0 comments:

Post a Comment