Saturday, May 1, 2010

Pumping Milestone - 9 months.

With E's 9 month birthday coming up tomorrow, I just *have* to post about my 9 month pumpiversary!!!

It's going swimmingly. It's still a pain in the butt, of course, but my pumping life has improved considerably since I started taking domperidone. I ordered it from Inhouse Pharmacy, and I've been nothing but thrilled with it. I've been pumping as much as 40-50 oz a day. Just prior to receiving it, my supply had been reduced to literally about 15 oz a day - I had to thaw 2 bags out of my small freezer stash each day just to keep up. I've been able to replenish and increase my freezer stash, and sometimes I feel like I have milk up to my eyeballs, there's so much! I love it. I'm sort of running out of room in my mom's freezer (we still have to keep regular food in there, ya know!) so I might reduce the number of pills I'm taking (8 a day currently) and try to maintain a supply of about 30 oz/day - enough to cover what E eats and freeze a bag maybe every other or every three days. We'll see though. I'm not so sure I want to mess with it - it's working so well.

E is still on only breast milk. I've been toying with the idea of starting solids for months now, but it hasn't felt right. My mom is pressuring me like crazy, but I'm holding out until I'm sure E's ready. He's doing beautifully on breast milk alone! I'm so glad that I've been able to maintain this for this long. Nine months!! A year will be here in no time.

2 comments:

  1. I have a question about the domperidone. The site you bought it from, am I reading correctly that no prescription is necessary? I'm thinking I may need to go on it because my supply has PLUMMETED since I started pumping (when I went back to work). I really want to avoid supplementing, but each day my supply gets less and less. My daughter has to fight to get letdown, when I never had a problem before. Any help is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No prescription is necessary! The first time I ordered it, I ordered 200 tablets, and it took 3 1/2 weeks to get to me! However, the second time, I ordered 1200 and it only took about a week and a half. Moral of the story: If you go on it, plan in advance.

    For anyone wondering if it's the best idea to order a non-FDA-approved drug off the internet, I had the same concerns. I asked my obstetrician about it (who is very supportive of breastfeeding, although not overzealous by any stretch), and he said that he considers it a safe drug, and is disappointed that it isn't available for him to prescribe. (In my state, he can't even prescribe it to be compounded at a compounding pharmacy. In some states, you can - so if you're uncomfortable with ordering it, check on that!) He of course couldn't tell me to order it online, but said he wouldn't think I was crazy if I did ;).

    ReplyDelete