Thursday, September 16, 2010

One Year Ago Today... Part Deux

One year ago today E came home from the NICU at last. I can't remember what we did that morning, but I remember they told us he should be ready to go by 2 or 3 pm... so I'm sure we just got ready and went to get him! It was so surreal, and as we were driving away I felt like I was stealing him ;). I really did. I have no words for how amazing it was, so I'll just show you the pictures instead.


Last time pulling up to the hospital...



Last time going up those weird things....



This is the lobby where I would eat and take my breaks from NICU...




LAST picture with leads on!!!



Changing into his going home outfit...


I'm back there changing him, the nurse is getting his discharge papers all ready..




E's going home outfit! We bought it the day I got my BFP!



So excited to have our family together.... Little did I know ;)




I insisted on sitting in the back seat. To make sure he didn't quit breathing. Naturally.




Finally at home!! We had the crib side-carred -look how teeny he was in it! Also note the thermometer and nasal aspirator IN THE CRIB. Because I was taking his temp every 3 hours, and you never know when you'll have an emergency and need the nasal aspirator now. ;) #paranoidNICUmom!

And today? A year later? His dad is no longer in the picture. But he and I are the most perfect family ever.

Today I took him to daycare while I went to school, and I didn't worry that he was going to die from germ exposure. I also took him with me to the store - again, I didn't think twice about it. I haven't taken his temp for weeks, and I don't periodically count his respirations anymore. I don't strip him down and watch for retractions, and I only sometimes worry that he'll stop breathing in his sleep. He's a big, strong, healthy boy.. and I'm a little less paranoid.

So blessed, I'm telling you.

3 comments:

  1. Oh he is so tiny! How great that it has been a year! He is so adorable and you are seriously an amazing mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so touching! Thanks for sharing. You two do make the perfect family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our daugthers, came home from the NICU one year ago tomorrow...Sept 17! They spent 48 days in the NICU, born at 29 weeks. So you and I both were in the thick of finally having our babies home with us this time last year! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete